November 14, 2004

things I have been doing:

  • vastly enjoying most of what I've been downloading.
  • downloading some more stuff:

    • Slint - Spiderland
    • ...and you will know us by the trail of dead - Worlds Apart and Madonna
    • What's Up Matador (the tenth anniversary collection)
    • The Arcade Fire live at KEXP (which sounds good, but the quality is terrible)

  • studying for midterms.
  • being all religious-like; the last week or so has been the build-up to the hindu new year, and yesterday was new years proper, so it's been a lot of interesting stories and praying and hearing from family and whatnot. it's not a big huge thing, but it makes me shuffle the rest of my life around enough that I'm glad it's once a year.
  • realizing that my ...Trail of Dead shirt has a scene from the Mahabharata (lit trans: big war; it's an ancient Hindu epic poem) on it. and by me I mean my mom. I think this means that she approves of the band a little more. woo!
  • drooling over this laptop company
also, I've been cooking again. Most recently, I made this pineapple-coconut terrine/jello thing, the recipe for which I got here.
It tasted good, but didn't look nearly as good as that guys photo; I think that I might not have reduced the pineapple juice enough. Oh well.

also dug out the trusty cilantro pesto recipe, which is simple and fast and adds a swath of green to stodgy winter meals.
to make, take:
  • one bunch cilantro, cleaned and trimmed
  • two large cloves of garlic
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
  • a handful of nuts or seeds; I've made it with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, peanuts and pistachios before.
  • salt, to taste.
  • about a quarter-cup of oil; whatever you like best.
throw everything but the oil in a blender. blend, adding oil until it becomes a smooth mixture, not necessarily a paste.

from there, the possibilities are huge; I like spreading it onto whole-wheat bread and making grilled cheese sandwiches, or tossing it with noodles and vegetables, or making nachos with it. the pesto tastes better after a day, and the proportions and ingredients are fairly flexible, so make it your own.

---
random question: what shade of blue do you think a super-intelligent shade of blue would be? a navy blue? an ice blue? a sky blue? it's sort of for a shirt.

No comments: