October 09, 2004

five in heavy rotation: 10/9/2004

the premise is simple: I write about five songs I'm listening to fairly frequently, and post 'em up somewhere for you to download. I was thinking about using a GMail account for that, but since it would require contacting me first so I could give you a login and that might put some people off (what with me being a minor internet celebrity in the Netherlands and all) so I'll probably figure out some other way to post them for your enjoyment - suggestions are welcome.

[edit: they're going up on yousendit.com; links will be the song name, and they're only up for seven days, so make sure to get them fast.]

in the meantime, here they are:

Snow Patrol - How to Be Dead
This, if I remember rightly, is the song that moved me from "this isn't too bad." to "I'm liking this.", or in Hipster Body Language, from the Arms Crossed and Decidedly Not Moving to the Nodding in Time. It's no Run but it's what's in heavy rotation, so it gets a moment in the sun.

The Futureheads - Robot
My favorite part about these guys is that you can tell that they're having fun, and it shines through their music. Two minutes of post-punk-pop with tight harmonies and delightful lyrics. If/when they show up in Vancouver again, I am totally going to see them.

The Arcade Fire - Crown of Love
I think this is an underappreciated song. Everyone loves Neighbourhood #1(Tunnels) or Rebellion(Lies) but this one slips under the radar; until the bass and the violin light up the ending, anyway.

Ellen Allien - Erdbeermund
Chopped beats, clicks, bleeps, incomprehensible German women, a slide whistle and basslines that could've stepped out of a videogame. This track is made for playing Scorched Earth to. Or practicing your post-apocalyptic dance, because in the nuclear winter of the far future, it is your groove that will ensure the survival of the human race.

The Cardigans - And Then You Kissed Me
Stop snickering. The Cardigans are far more than a one-hit wonder band and their latest release shows remarkable range from the band that brought us Lovefool . It's easy to dismiss as a throwaway (but nonetheless solid) mopey pop song with a slightly country bent, until you realize exactly what the song is about.

No comments: