September 25, 2004

two thoughts, four snippets

I am slowly developing a crush on Ellen Allien:
- she's hot
- she runs a record label
- she spins fantastic music
- she hates trance!
-

She's definitely on the "People I Want to See Live" List.
___
Went to a party for a family friend who was recently engaged; saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in a good long time, and while it was good to see them, I hated the feeling of constantly being scrutinized by a bunch of brown ladies, all of whom were thinking the same two things:

a) can I marry him off ?
b) failing that, can I badmouth him?

seeing as a) is clearly not an option, I had to keep my guard up for b). Managed to escape without anyone telling me there was a girl I should meet, and fairly sure that I'd done nothing offensive.
___
If this whole school thing falls through, I am moving onto banditry - specifically the holding up of engagements/weddings/receptions etc.
Why people need to wear gold chains ON THE OUTSIDE OF THEIR SHIRTS is beyond me; while I do have one, I'm frankly sort of embarassed by it and can't fathom flaunting the thing, let alone wearing one that came down to my navel (!).

Middle-aged Indian women: the only ones blinging harder than rappers.
__
Speaking of People I Want To See Live, who's on your list?
Mine is currently:

  • Radiohead (seen)
  • Pixies (seen)
  • Squarepusher (seen)
  • Interpol (have ticket for)
  • ...trail of dead (also have ticket for)
  • Coldplay
  • Bjork*
  • Ellen Allien*
  • The Walkmen
  • The Wrens*
  • The Arcade Fire
  • Broken Social Scene
  • DJ Shadow*


stars indicate that cost would be less of an issue, because these are shows that are either ultra-unlikely to come to Vancouver, or guaranteed awesomeness.

No comments: