June 09, 2006

five in heavy rotation

I haven't done one of these for a while, which means that most of you probably haven't either. It's really very simple: pick five songs you've been listening to a lot in the last week, and write a couple lines about them and/or how they reflect on the greater context of, well, you.

Here I go (in no order):

Okkervil River - Another Radio Song
I've written and rewritten this blurb four times, and no matter which way I approach it, I end up with a conclusion I'm thoroughly unsatisfied with. Give it a couple listens. Maybe it'll grab you the same way it did me. Who knows.

...and you will know us by the trail of dead - Heart in the Hand of the Matter
The odd one out. I'm not really sure what to make of it except maybe that the iPod likes it a lot and sneaks it into shuffle. Of course, anthromorphizing a piece of consumer electronics is a whole other barrel of monkeys.

Rogue Wave - 10:1
Infectious sunshine pop. Waking up to this (as I've been doing lately) is like punching morning doldrums in the face.

Calexico - Sunken Waltz
I don't know why, but if you write anything not classical in 3/4 time, I will put it on repeat, and probably add it to the running playlist on my iPod called "Waltzes." No idea, but I'm a total sucker for 'em. This is another one of those.

Barenaked Ladies - Too Little Too Late
"Be good
I would
If only I was understood"

[sigh]

all five can be downloaded here
it's a yousendit link, so it'll expire after 25 downloads or a week. I'll put it up again if necessary, so long as the requester puts up their own Five in Heavy Rotation.

2 comments:

Graham said...

I will do this again very soon. look out for it.

Anonymous said...

hey gerald, it's pat - email me. sargasmic at hotmail dot com.