August 03, 2005

today!

so, I spent my "day off" (I didn't go to work, but I emailed people like there was no tomorrow) designing a shirt for threadless.com. Sort of. The process went more like this:

  1. decide on text for shirt.
  2. try to decide what font to use.
  3. become frustrated with font selection, go hunting on the internet for fonts.
  4. read typography blogs.
  5. stumble across Gill Sans, which is just right for my needs.
  6. hunt down and install Gill Sans.
  7. feel guilty for ripping off a typographer; it's fairly difficult work.
  8. see that it'd cost me a whole damn lot to buy, feel less guilty.
  9. notice that Threadless prefers vector images over bitmaps (it's a way of thinking about images; ask me later if you want to know more), attempt to find bitmap-to-vector converter.
  10. find out that Flash MX does a fine job of this.
  11. figure that I may as well upgrade Fireworks so that all my Macromedia products are up to date.
  12. find, install, and crack aforementioned programs, and get down to actual work.
  13. get nowhere due to (lack of) speed of desktop.
  14. convince sister to let me use her laptop.
  15. install/crack programs again, and move my source images over to her computer.
  16. graphics program + trackpads = disaster.
  17. get some stuff done anyway, for a solid 45 minutes.
  18. move stuff done over to desktop.
  19. return laptop to previous state and then to sister.
  20. grumble.
Sprinkle in a liberal amount of email checking, livejournal reading, and geek website commenting, and you've got the closest thing I get to a vacation this summer. I got a design done, and now I'm fiddling with colour schemes before submitting to threadless, and I'll post samples for comment tomorrow.
for now, though, I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Aleksandra said...

Looking over the Threadless catalogue, I realize I really want you to win this competition, just so we can stage some ridiculously cheesy scene for the shot of you in the shirt.